Mitchell B. Owen Ed.D.
3309 Carrack Ct., Raleigh N.C. 27613
Results driven executive whose integrity-based leadership style fosters successful organizational development programs through innovation and collaboration. Proven record of designing and delivering outcome-oriented systems that strengthens talent development and organizational effectiveness in both the corporate and public arenas. Established record of excellence in facilitation and instruction. Experienced change-agent and boundary-spanner.
A Leadership and Organizational Development Company
Owner and Chief Operating Officer (1993 – present)
- Delivers results driven leadership and management development programs.
- Provides executive coaching at the senior level for both corporate and private sector.
- Boundary Spanner serving scientific, medical, manufacturing, distribution, research, service, and other sectors. Implements successful change management programs for leading public universities and companies.
- Distinguished list of clients include: NB Handy Company, Volvo Car Finance Inc, United Auto Workers, General Motors, Delphi, City of Raleigh, Primewood Inc., Ogleybay National Training Center, Conservation Trust of North Carolina, North Carolina State University, Ohio Department of Natural Resources, University of California, University of Florida, University of Georgia, University of Illinois, The Ohio State University, and University of Tennessee.
North Carolina Department of Public Safety:
Deputy Director for Organizational Development and Performance (2013 – present)
- Lead organizational development and performance management functions for recently consolidate 26000+ employee state agency.
- Implemented agency-wide Orientation and On-Boarding system for agency ensuring ownership throughout division leadership despite significant silo-issues.
- Implemented agency-wide Learning Management and Policy Acknowledgement System within three months of employment to drive new efficiencies in learning and policy management.
- Initiated strategy to implement synchronous and asynchronous eLearning systems.
- Implemented re-envisioning process for agency-wide performance management system with linkage of individual performance to agency strategic planning goals with target implementation at twelve months.
- Redesigned of Organizational Development Function to ensure effective goal achievement.
North Carolina Department of Administration
Organizational Development Specialist and Training Manager
(2010 to 2013)
- Lead organizational development and performance management functions for 700+ employee state agency.
- Implemented performance management system linking individual performance to agency strategic planning goals in less than 18 months.
- Designed and facilitated a leadership development program for supervisors, managers, and senior leaders.
- Completed a workforce analysis and succession planning overview for the agency.
- Implemented new wellness programs designed to address rising health insurance costs.
North Carolina State University:
Director, Personal & Organizational Development (2006 to 2010)
- Led organizational development function for 800+ employee and 100,000+ volunteer organization.
- Drove succession planning system and developed internal leadership development programs.
- Designed and facilitated strategic planning for significant list of internal and external clients.
- Led Program Leadership Council: multi-university executive team representing 28 southern universities.
- Developed innovative programs to address new faculty retention, promotion, and on-boarding concerns.
- Recognized as a national leader in the field of leadership and organizational development.
- Co-designed the national Food System Leadership Institute and continues to serve as teaching faculty.
- Published 67 articles for peer reviewed journals, conferences, and organizations. Vita available upon request.
- Enhanced organizational effectiveness through retention and leadership development evaluation studies.
Innovation and Organization Development Leader, Personal & Organizational Development (2000 to 2006)
- Envisioned, designed, and managed the online learning management & evaluation system.
- Designed and facilitated the NCSU Chancellor’s Retreat and other “high stakes” events.
- Taught graduate courses in educational program development and supervision.
- Drove Land Grant Universities to adopt collaborative online learning content standards.
- Conducted competency study of managers and created proficiency assessments for coaching “high potentials.”
- Created and delivered cultural agility programs for both domestic and international audiences.
- Coordinated large organizational and multi–agency conferences and change initiatives.
- Developed and implemented several executive development programs at the state and national level.
- Designed and delivered strategic and market planning for both internal and external organizational units.
- Received grants and contracts totaling over $1,600,000.
- Designed and delivered continuous quality improvement facilitation certification program.
Specialist, CALS Information Technology (1988 to 2000)
- Achieved record adoption rates for organizational-wide technology implementation.
- Served as College liaison to Administrative Computing for PeopleSoft 1999-2000 implementation.
- Achieved adoption rates from training program that led the nation for email and Internet use.
- Envisioned and led a national project ranked among the first of online courses taught via the Internet.
- Recognized as a national expert in change management and adoption of technology.
- North Carolina State University, Ed.D., Adult Education (Training and Development). May, 1999.
- Clemson University, M.Ag., Mech. and Business, Minor in Agric. Economics. December, 1983.
- Clemson University, Bachelor of Science, Plant Science, Minor in Business. May 1982.
- Sigma Iota Rho: Inducted into the national honor society for International Studies, 2001
- State Award of Visionary Leadership: Epsilon Sigma Phi, National Honorary Extension Fraternity, XI, 1998.
- Outstanding Service Award: North Carolina State University Supervisors’ Management School, 1997.
- National Gold Award for Information Technology: ACE, 1995.
- Extension Agent Award of Excellence: RJR Nabisco Inc. & North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, 1987.
- Best Paper: SAEA Meeting, 1984.
- Services to Youth Award: Clemson University Y.M.C.A. 1979.
- North Carolina Quality Awards of Excellence Examiner, 2005
- Bar-On Emotional Quotient Inventory, 2004
- CPI-260 Coaching Report for Leaders, 2003
- Cultural Orientations Inventory, September, 2002.
- Leader Behavior Analysis II Questionnaire, KenBlanchard Company, 2002.
- Strength Deployment Inventory Certification, 2000.
- Institute on Community-Based Programming, Acad. for Comm. College Leadership Advan., Innov., & Modeling, 1996.
- Leadership Development Institute for Quality, North Carolina Cooperative Extension, 1995.
- North Carolina State University Certified Continuous Quality Improvement Facilitator, 1994.
- Human Patterns Certification, 1994.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Certification, 1993.
- Firo-B Certification, 1993.
- Leadership Development Institute for Extension Specialists, North Carolina State University, 1993.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Southern Region Extension Program Leadership Committee Member 2005-2010, Chair, 2009.
- Oglebay National Training Center, Supervisors Management School, Faculty, 1993-2010.
- Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Council 2006-2010.
- Journal of Extension Institutional Representative, 2002-2009.
- National Extension Professional Development Steering Committee, 2007-2009.
- Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, Reviewer for Scholarly Manuscripts, 2001-2005.
- Southern Region Extension Program and Staff Development Committee Member 2001-2009, Chair, 2003-2004.
- Association of Leadership Educators Conference, Program Chair and Administrator of the Call for Papers, 2004.
- Curriculum Leader and Faculty-Phillip Morris Agricultural Leadership Institute, 2002-2004.
- North Carolina State University, Pathways Leadership Development Advisory Board, 2002-2004.
- Southern Region, Cooperative Extension Curriculum Project, Learning Descriptions Working Group, Chair, 2002.
- Southern Region, E-extension Working Group, 2002.
- Agricultural Telecommunications Program, USDA, Grant Proposal Reviewer, 2000.
- Epsilon Sigma Phi, XI Chapter, Co-Annalist, 1994, Annalist, 1995, Board 1996, National Committee 1994-1995.
- Study Task Force Member, North Carolina Public School Forum, 1993, 1994.
Organizational Development Selected Client List
- Bladen County Government-Strategic Planning
- Carolina Farm Credit-Core Competency Development
- City or Raleigh, NC-Strategic Planning, Leadership Development, Community Empowerment & Volunteer Management
- Clean Water Management Trust Fund, NC-Strategic Planning and Retreat Facilitation
- Conservation Trust for North Carolina-Team Building and Strategic Planning
- Food Systems Leadership Institute-Leadership, Trust, Self-Discovery, and Managing Difficult Conversations
- General Motors, UAW and Delphi-Diversity and Cultural Leadership
- Green County Commissioners, NC-Strategic Planning
- Hoke County Government, NC-Strategic Planning
- International Visitors Council-Marketing, Building a Legendary Brand
- Lee County Government, NC-Strategic Planning
- NB Handy Company-Succession Planning, Leadership Development and Executive Coaching
- NC Board of Veterinary Medical Association-Team Building and Managing Conflict
- North Carolina State University, Office of the Chancellor-Design and Facilitation of Annual Retreat
- North Carolina A&T State University-Organizational Effectiveness Planning and Leadership Development
- NC Soil and Water Conservation-Leadership Development, Team Building, Community Development, and Managing Conflict
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources-Team Building
- Philip Morris-Blue Ribbon Leadership, Cultural Leadership, Managing Change, and Ethical Leadership
- Primewood, Inc.-Leadership Development and Team Building
- Purdue University-Cultural Agility: Working successfully across global cultures
- Raleigh Visitors Bureau-Strategic Marketing and Building Legendary Brands
- State Employees Association of North Carolina-Leadership Development and Team Building
- The Ohio State University; Alpha Zeta-Leading Innovation and Change
- University of California-Succession Planning, Leading Innovation and Change, and Leadership Development
- University of Georgia-Succession Planning and Leadership Development
- University of Florida-Succession Planning and Leadership Development
- University of Illinois-Cultural Leadership in a Global Society
- University of Tennessee-Strategic Planning
- Volvo Car Finance-Team Building and Diversity